Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Often, when I touch my oven, especially in the area of the controller, the oven controller lights up completely and resets to "PF". or Power failure. I then need to set the clock all over again and wait for the next episode. Whirlpool sent a service person who changed the circuit board. Same problem exists after a week. When I touch the oven I feel a small static electricity zap. Any ideas?

share|improve this question
4  
How's the ground connection on your stove? Seems to me that modern electronics shouldn't do that if everything's hooked up right. –  Wayfaring Stranger Jan 7 '12 at 14:10
    
Has this always happened with this oven? Did you install the oven? Is it a wall oven or part of a free-standing stove? –  Michael Kohne Jan 7 '12 at 14:22
add comment

2 Answers 2

There are two causes that come to mind. Either you have a build up of static electricity in your body and you are discharging it into the oven, causing the controller to reset, or something in the oven is shorting out to the chasis causing you to get shocked when you touch it.

Do you commonly get static shocks anywhere else in your house? This is common in northern climates in the winter when everything is really dry. Often you can improve this by increasing the humidity in your house.

If you do not have static issues elsewhere then it is likely that something is wrong with your oven in the form of a short. I would advise not to use it any further and have a service person come back and check it more carefuly. Heating elements failing is a common cause of this.

share|improve this answer
2  
There is no such thing as being "mildly electrocuted". You are either electrocuted; and your heart stops, or you were shocked. –  Tester101 Jan 7 '12 at 22:54
    
Don't check for voltage, unplug the stove and check for continuity between hot an ground and hot and the body of the stove. –  Tester101 Jan 7 '12 at 22:56
    
If it were a short in say the controller then I don't think this would show anything, only if the short was in a line-voltage component. I removed this part of the answer. –  Steven Jan 7 '12 at 23:48
add comment

After you finish checking the oven for shorts or a bad ground, then the problem might be another appliance next to the oven, like a toaster or blender thats not grounded correctly. Check to see what receptacles are on the circuits in the kitchen and make sure all plugs and receptacles are properly grounded. If there are multiple GFCI's on the same circuit will cause problems if wired incorrectly. You can buy a plug that has 3 indicator lights that check 110/125 v receptacles for proper voltage and ground. They are cheap, like 10 bucks.

Good Luck.

share|improve this answer
    
Testers cannot usually tell the difference between ground and neutral so I would not rely on one for this.. –  Steven Jan 30 '12 at 19:15
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.