Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been looking around for a remote mains socket which will operate my heater in my office at the end of the 70 feet garden. I want to be able to switch on the heater from the house.

The label on the heater says 250 Volt - 50Hz - 2500 Watt so the plug must support this voltage (amp?). I checked this np8800 but this only supports up to 6 amp and the seller said it won't support my heater.

I live in UK by the way.

share|improve this question
Amps = Watts/Volts. Therefore A = 2500W/250V = 10A. Most outlets should support this fine. You linked to a USB-controlled outlet. Do you intend on controlling the switch with a computer? – shufler Jan 5 '12 at 20:17
No, it doesn't have to be via computer. If there is any remote controlled switch that will operate 70 feet on open, I'd definitely prefer that. – Optimus Jan 5 '12 at 21:41
This sounds to me like you need to run a new circuit (in some conduit) from your house to your office. Wire a switch inside your house and possibly a second switch in the office to control the outlet with the heater. – shufler Jan 6 '12 at 20:37
Well, I really don't want to do that :) It's too much hassle. I am looking for something easier, like a remote control. But thanks for your suggestions. – Optimus Jan 8 '12 at 19:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.