Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to use a step bit with a 1/2" shank. I only have drills with 3/8" chucks. Is the arbor size on most drills a standard which would enable me to just replace one of the 3/8" chucks with a 1/2" chuck? Is it really that simple?

share|improve this question
What make/model drill? – Steven Dec 23 '11 at 7:08
It's a Makita from the 90's. I don't have the model number handy. – Bill Craun Dec 23 '11 at 15:09
There is a reason the drill has a 3/8" chuck.The motor,frame etc is designed for the load /work required to drill a 3/8" hole.You are really goining to be straining the motor to drill a hole that large.If this is more than a one time job the next time you need to replace your drill buy the 1/2". – mikes Mar 2 '12 at 14:15
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Ok, I've done some research and it looks like a 1/2" chuck can be used on a 3/8" drill if the chuck is threaded 3/8"x24M. I was able to find a Jacobs MultiCraft (#30598) that should fit my mid-90s Makita.

share|improve this answer

You're looking for Jacobs part number 31037, it's a keyless 1/2" chuck for standard 3/8" drills designed specifically for the purpose of converting them. Your 3/8 drill will be fine with a 1/2" chuck, I've got a few than have been converted, 2 air powered, 1 corded/electric and 2 cordless. Just treat the drill as you normally would, drilling holes larger than 3/8" with a 3/8" drill has never been a problem.

I converted my first cordless drill for the same reason, needed to use an Irwin Unibit with the large shank.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.