Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am getting ready to demo my kitchen to the studs in a couple weeks. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for alternate materials to use other than "green" board (moisture resistant drywall) behind the sink, dishwasher, stove area behind the base cabinets.

In speaking to a local contractor a year or so ago then mentioned some other material but can't recall what it is.

I have a galley kitchen with a peninsula at one end. the sink, dishwasher, and stove are in the center in listed order.

share|improve this question
Do you mean behind the base cabinets, or just above the counter? Are you going to be tiling or putting some type of backsplash up? Is there a specific reason you don't want to use drywall? – gregmac Dec 13 '11 at 16:50
Check your local building regulations. According to Australia building regulations, you must have a fire-resistant wall next to your cook top. When we had ours installed, they simply cut out the plaster to a width of a metre behind the cooktop and added the special plaster board. The splashback was then installed over this. – dave Dec 14 '11 at 3:47

Hardibacker makes a board that can be used instead of drywall (its the same thickness). tiles can be put right onto it. Thats in the US anyway.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.