I need to refinish the bathroom ceiling in my 35-year-old house. Before I bought the house a few years ago, the bathroom had just had some work done (new wallpaper, probably new lights, and I assume new ceiling). In just the past couple years, the ceiling got moldy and started peeling.
We talked to a local contractor about installing a fan but he thought the bathroom was too small to need one. I assume all the previous owners didn't have to redo the bathroom ceiling every few yeaers, so I think the problem is just that the ceiling wasn't done properly. My guess is that the texture absorbed and stored the moisture when we showered, allowing the mold to grow and causing the texture to crack and peel and fall off. Now that I'm refinishing the ceiling, I want to do it right. I did see another question related to the bathroom ceiling mold, but I still have a few questions:
- If it had been painted would this not have been a problem? (the ceiling was textured but not painted before it started disintegrating)
- Is there any particular reason to finish it smooth vs. textured?
- If I just paint it smooth right now, does that make it harder to texture later if I want to do that?
- Do I need to install a fan? (ceiling area is about 52 sq ft)
- If I install a fan, will it be easier to do it before or after I refinish the ceiling?