Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a rental house built in the 70's that had severe water damage in the small room (4x5 feet) that houses the hot water heater. The room is off of the garage. I've had the water heater replaced and removed the dry wall. I'm getting ready to replace the drywall, but I'm concerned about what is the proper product to put back on my walls. Is 1/2 inch drywall adequate or should I put heavier dry wall back up?

share|improve this question
Fun fact - here in California, we sometimes put the water heater OUTSIDE - often in a little shed built onto the outside garage wall. They even make prefab little metal sheds for this purpose. – dbracey Feb 24 '12 at 16:19
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Modern codes generally require 5/8" fire-rated drywall (Type X) between a garage and the living areas of a house. Double check with your local city/county/state as they may have more stringent requirements.

share|improve this answer

Check your local codes and consider talking with your insurer. Our local codes were less stringent than what our insurance company suggested. We went with the insurance company's recommendation.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.